Stop H.R. 3053 – Shimkus Bill to Re-Start Yucca Mt., build CIS facilities; House vote expected next week; also
Support H.R. 3671 – Tulsi Gabbard’s 100% Renewables Bill
Oppose H.R. 3053:
This bill would provide funds and plans to restart the faulty Yucca Mt. project in Nevada; and would also begin the process and funding of “centralized interim storage” (CIS) facilities operated by private companies. Several sites are being targeted in West Texas and Southeast New Mexico. Both the Yucca project and the CIS facilities would result in massive numbers of shipments of spent reactor fuel on the nation’s deficient roads and rails. More detailed information and proposed transport route maps can be found on the NEIS Literature Page, and on the Beyond Nuclear site.
What You Can Do:
- Contact your federal representative (Capitol Switchboard is (202)224-3121), urging him/her to oppose H.R.3053, or any legislation that calls for a Yucca Mt. re-start or construction of a CIS facility.
- Tell your reps to SUPPORT “HOSS”- hardened onsite storage of high-level radioactive wastes as a better alternative.
- Make sure to add “comments” to any news accounts in print, online, or on radio/TV opposing Yucca and CIS funding and construction, and promoting HOSS instead.
Support R. 3671 – Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s “Off Fossil Fuels for a Better Future Act”:
Recently introduced by Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D.-2, HI), this bill:
- Calls for transition away from fossil fuel sources of energy to 100 percent clean energy by 2035.
- Has a “just transitions” provision for workers in the fossil fuels industries.
- Is co-sponsored by Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D.-9, IL).
What You Can Do:
- Contact your federal representative (Capitol Switchboard is (202)224-3121), urging him/her to support H.R.3671.
- Ask your Rep to introduce an amendment to expand the “just transitions” section to include nuclear plant workers and communities.