“Carbon-Free/Nuclear-Free by 2040!” – or, we’re toast.
On a cold, wet, windy Saturday in April, 17 NEIS supporters marched
in the People’s Climate March in Chicago to convey a simple message: “You Can’t ‘Nuke’ Global Warming!”
What started out as a 40⁰ drizzly gray day turned into a colder, windier incessant downpour by the time the march from Federal Plaza in Chicago’s south downtown area to Trump Tower at the north end kicked off.
The weather did not deter NEIS from making a very visible display with flags, banners, signs and radiation suits. Supporters had time to talk with many of those who gathered for the march about some of the reasons why nuclear power is not well suited to help in the climate crisis fight:
- Its WAY MORE expensive than other viable alternative means of reducing carbon in the atmosphere, such as energy efficiency;
- Reactors take too long to deploy in sufficient numbers to make any meaningful impact on atmospheric carbon levels when it’s needed;
- It takes money and resources away from expanding renewable energy and energy efficiency;
- Nuclear utilities like Exelon are manipulatively using the climate issue as justification to keep old, uneconomic reactors that should be closing in operation instead by getting state subsidies and bailouts, which cripple a more rapid deployment of renewables.
- None of the main problems historically facing nuclear power – cost, waste, proliferation, potential terrorism – have been solved. Adding more nuclear reactors just worsens these problems.
The REAL solution is to embrace a national energy policy that has as its goal becoming carbon free and nuclear free by 2040, as is laid out in the IEER book by the same title (available for free in PDF format online here.)
The NEIS Board and staff are very grateful for and proud of the people who marched for safe energy and a less-nuclear world.
Some video of NEIS in the March:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l327wRf1ZBE NEIS at 1:31. Looks “nice.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws7NHWie8D0 NEIS: 0:30